Saturday, November 22, 2008

Diabetes Foods: Is Honey a Good Substitute for Sugar?

Mayo Clinic, 11/19/2008

Q. I have diabetes, and I'm wondering if I can substitute honey for sugar in my diet?

A. Generally, there's no advantage to substituting honey for sugar in a diabetes eating plan. Both honey and sugar will affect your blood sugar level.

Honey is sweeter than granulated sugar, so you might use a smaller amount of honey for sugar in some recipes. But honey actually has slightly more carbohydrates and more calories per teaspoon than does granulated sugar — so any calories and carbohydrates you save will be nominal…

1 comment:

Randeg said...

I am glad you had this published for I just love honey with my tea. Aside from loving it, I thought I read somewhere that it is good brain food. But now with your publication on this topic I may have to re-visit this. The other disadvantage of using honey is that it has more calories. Yikes! No wonder I've been gaining weight. Thank you for putting me on track!

Evelyn Guzman
http://www.free-symptoms-of-diabetes-alert.com (If you want to visit, just click but if it doesn’t work, copy and paste it onto your browser.)